Friday, October 19, 2012

Mosquée de Paris, Notre Dame, Centre Pompidou

    
J'ai eu l'envie de visiter la Mosquée de Paris dés que j'ai appris de son existence dans le film Paris, je t'aime. And I finally got to visit Saturday afternoon. It was breath-taking! Easily my favourite stop in all of Paris.

The tour was in French and unfortunately I simply couldn't understand all the nuances of its architecture, but the space is pervaded by a palpable sense of tranquility and harmony. 




They even have a restaurant around the corner with some truly amazing desserts and veeerrrry agreeable mint tea. And after you finish, your table becomes a free-for-all for sparrows, apparently.


On to Notre Dame! Once again, there were some confusing lines while waiting to enter the space. When I got in, I was surpised to find that photography (sans flash) was permitted in the church. Unfortunately the crowd demotivated me from photographing the space, but it was impressive! I had this song stuck in my head most of the time.

After Notre Dame, I found my way to Centre Pompidou, which was to be my one and only museum/gallery stop in Paris.

The two temporary exhibits were Mircea CANTOR: Prix Marcel Duchamp 2011, whose video work I really liked and Adel ABDESSEMED: Je suis Innocent, who genuinely disturbed me with a segment of one of his videos and I thought I would become physically ill. I haven't read up on him to consider the justifications of his thought process, but let;s just say there was some recorded violence between things that are too familiar to me to have me see them get hurt. I did buy Mircea CANTOR's monograph though--- pourquoi pas?


Right after I saw the two shows, my camera crapped out, so I don't have images of the rest of the gallery. Suffice it to say it was a large space and I soon grew very tired of looking at and processing art. I saw a load of superbly famed works such as Otta DIX's Portrait of the Journalist Sylvia Von Harden, a pre-cubist, but not-blue-period Picasso, some Yves KLEIN, whose works I would later encounter in Nice, Max BECKMANN, who was a favourite in high school, Joan MIRÓ, early (I think) Sonia DELAUNAY and some other big names and works I can no longer recall. 

The important this to note here, is that my camera was very, irrevocably dead (PS. if you get this MURAKAMI reference, we are probably soul-mates) and it remained as such as I watched an absolutely perfect dusk flourish before me outside Pompidou, and all I could think about was how I wouldn't be able to share it!

Luckily, I decided to give it a last go before finally setting out and somehow managed to squeeze a bit of life out of my S95, and alas, my perfect sunset with the Eiffel Tower was realized.

After returning to Gobelins and charging my camera, I set out again for le Marais, because Jaclyn said this was my hood, which I later realized was super close to Notre Dame #facepalm, and rolled around a bit before setting back to look for Chinatown.

Somehow, I fumbled to it after a couple failed attemps and time wasted riding aimlessly on the Metro, after which I realized it was so much easier to find on foot following Avenue de Choisy from Place d'Italie. Once there, I was dying for a last drink in Paris. Following Liam's order of never buying anything from the main drag, I came across this place, which I don't know the name of, strolled in just before they closed and had an excellent red. 


On the way out, I noticed this amazing book of portraits. If I'm ever in Paris again, I will dig this place out and have a proper meal here to hang about.




4 comments:

  1. Wow, my fave post so far (mind you, this is only the 3rd one I've seen lol). Stunning architecture photos.. I can't even begin to imagine what it's like in person. I LOVE LOVE LOVE the sunset photo with the Eiffel tower - breathtaking! I think I need another look to fully digest these photos :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to know you're enjoying the posts!

    The Mosque is truly underrated, which, for me/someone who doesn't like being in a hoard of tourists, is heavenly! And yes, I was ecstatic that my camera resurrected in the nick of time. I was growing tired of listening to myself whine :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. hallelujah for the one last gasping breath your camera breathed to showcase such an exquisite Parisian sunset! (i completely know that feeling!)

    you'll have to remind me which scene the mosque is featured in in Paris Je T'aime... have i ever told you that i watched that in Melbourne in 2010 in the most fabulous little cinema in which everyone got a sofa seat or loveseat to share with a loved one?

    ReplyDelete
  4. That sounds absolutely stellar! I'm curious to know how the theatre is laid out.

    The mosque appears at the end of Gurinder Chadha's Quais de Seine, and despite its brief cameo, it has since always intrigued me.

    Ahhh, Paris, je t'aime, there're some great shorts in that title!

    ReplyDelete