Saturday, November 10, 2012

Villefranche-sur-Mer




Despite the ocean being so near, I, surprisingly have yet to go for a swim. When I do though, it'll likely be here, in Villefranche or neghbouring Beaulieu.







When I visited the city on Monday, it was for the Citadel, one of the few remaining from its period, and getting lost, I was lucky enough to have found an incredibly nice stranger who virtually walked me over. 




Unfortunately, I forget that most things are closed Mondays, so I was unable to visit any of the museums and galleries inside the fortress. 




Instead, I wandered over to the port to take in the scenery, and as it was recommended by my host family, briefly visited le Chantier Naval Pasqui. I didn't photograph the place though, because it was quite late when I worked up the courage to ask if I could take a peek, and by late I mean by French working hours standards, which was around 6pm. 




After the port, I turned from the beach and walked back to the photograph the Citadel by night.







Taking a different route, I happened to walk past a recreational centre where people were playing bocce ball and an older gentleman told me his friend would like to invite me over for a glass of wine, haha. As nice as it was, I decided to forge ahead.








Villefranche, very quiet on a Monday night and very extraordinary.








Before returning to the train station, I decided to take one last look at the sea, and descended to the beach almost directly delow the tracks. Here, along the low wall, earlier in the day, I had purchased two paintings from Jose Trobo, an artist from Madrid who had biked to Villefranche all the way from Barcelona. 




I really liked the tiny, hidden figures in his works and to thank me for purchasing his watercolours, he sketched a simple portrait of me and we got to chat a bit about being in la Côte d'Azur. 


Wherever he gets to next, I wish him the best. 

No comments:

Post a Comment