Friday, November 09, 2012

L'église Sainte Jeanne d'arc



Though there are no shortage of churches in Nice, l'église Sainte Jeanne d'arc, is the only one I know constructed of concrete---and it just so happens to also be my favourite and the closest to where I am.









Designed by architect, Jacques Droz, Sainte Jeanne d'arc was conceived in the style of Art Nouveau and construction first began in 1914 by Louis Castel, who built one of two crypts that now, coincidentally serve as the church's foundation. 

The reason why it's my favourite here in Nice, is because, unlike other, older places of worship that are sombre and elaborately ornate, which often evokes a sense of uneasiness from me upon entry, Sainte Jeanne d'arc possesses a simplicity that feels luminous and inviting, rendering religious ritual more human and less intimidating. 


No comments:

Post a Comment