Thursday, November 01, 2012

Monaco



Took the train to Monaco today, to take advantage of the clear skies and sunlight, and the lack of classes thanks to All Saints Day.






  


Unfortunately, I didn't get to see much of the city. I had a late start to my day and I spent too much time battling throngs of families and children at the Musée Océangraphique. I did have a good look at the harbour at least, which made me wish I had what I needed to dive in...








The Museum! Under some construction, but beautiful. I should gotten a look at the property from the other side, but I was rushing myself a bit due to under-planning!























This little guy was my favourite fish! Unfortunately, he was too difficult to photograph for me, so everyone'll just have to take my word for it. 


















After the museum visit, I headed for the Jardin Japonais, apparently a gift to Monaco from Japan. 







And it was beautiful, even in the growing darkness. The park was also more comprehenive than I had anticipated and by comprehensive,I mean it had many features of a Japanese garden: a zen garden, a waterfall, and traditional structures like a tea house. 






Finally, evening caught up and I turned myself homeward to Nice.








On the way back, I took the shortcut to the station, and took a peek inside a church nestled between the harbour and the mountain of buildings.




There was a woman practising a piece of music inside accompanied by a man on the piano. It's the first church I've visited in Europe that's been in use and tant mieux, she had an incredible voice!



Voilà, Monaco's train station. One of the few or possibly only, underground stations on the coast. The station was converted from an above ground station not so long ago, due to how sought-after real estate is in the independent state and the high demand of those wanting to live here for its favourable taxing system. I don't know much beyond that, but it does seem a lovely place to be.

2 comments:

  1. gorgeous aquarium photos! i love the way the underwater creatures light up amidst the sea of blue, even though i find it personally notoriously difficult to photograph them well myself with my lack of camera setting experience. the jellies are definitely my favourite ... so peaceful & wistfully floating, and (some) hiding such a venomous sting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. No way, it's probably just the technology. My old point and shoot didn't have any manual settings so it was impossible to photograph anything under-lit.

    I've also recently realized that lowering the f-number while maintaining your shutter speed minimizes blurriness--kind of a no-brainer, but it didn't quite occur to me somehow...

    And yes, go sea creatures!

    ReplyDelete